Saturday 5 May 2012

The Opening Show...On Ice!




So, here I was in mid October 2011, with a start date of Sunday November 13th for the launch of my very first show…and I had no guest! I felt like I was stood under a tree, on a block of thin ice, in the Sahara, with a noose around my neck.

I'm not one to panic, so I got to work to see about securing a guest. It took just a few days before I received a positive response from Sanya Richards Ross - USA Olympic Gold Medallist! I can't describe the joy and relief I felt. First guest - an internationally renown athlete; you couldn't ask for more. I grabbed the noose and ripped it apart, I was saved.

Back On Ice!

My feet were just warming on the Sahara sands when I felt the chill of the ice once again; Sanya couldn't make November 13th. I stepped back onto the ice, the noose seemed even tighter now, as I still had no guest for my opening show. Date? November 3rd.

Funnily Enough, Networks Work…

I wasn't about to cancel the show, not a chance. For those of you that know me, you know I haven't much hair on my head to pull out, so that wasn't going to help either. I did what we all should do in times like this…I turned to my network, my contacts.

Within one phone-call I secured my guest - Internationally respected Andy Barton, Sports Psychologist & Mental Skills Consultant. Andy has appeared on, amongst others, Sky News, CNN and has written articles for various publications, he was ideal for my opener. Funnily enough, networks work! I ripped that wretched noose apart again. Err, problem was, he couldn't appear live on the show. I did briefly think 'Is this just not going to happen?'

All wasn't lost however, as we got together before and recorded the interview to play live on the show. It's an interesting topic we discuss too, the workings of the elite mindset. Go on over to the show page and have a listen.

Swans

Fortunately, Sanya Richards Ross was free to accommodate the show date of 27 November. I thoroughly enjoyed the show, where we talk about her season, why she decided to take time off and what truly motivates her. Oh, and who she would invite to her fantasy dinner party. With the guests she'd invite, I'd love to be there!

Hosting a live show can have it's technical perils sometimes and my show with Sanya proved to be so. Between it being only my second outing as radio host, my Producer losing his Internet connection for a period, Sanya being lost in the Green Room and my then makeshift studio setup giving me a headache, I feel the show went well. All appeared calm above the surface. That's just live shows for you though!

It was a fantastic insight into the life of an elite athlete like Sanya. What I recall most is her enthusiasm about her sport and her motivational strengths. I find the mind of the elite athlete something to be admired. They are very focussed and outcome driven. I know there are many people with similar mindset but athletes are pretty extraordinary, especially with the way they handle their inner conflicts, which can spell disaster for them if they fall prey to negative thoughts!

Check out what her views on doping in sport are and whether she got her 'BrainDrain' question right!

No comments:

Post a Comment